4.05.2010

Significant Scrimmage

(Picture is a dramatization, no Rebels or Divas were hurt in the making of this graphic because it was borrowed from the internet)
I've been saying it since the beginning, but tonight my skates proved it: they have a mind of their own. Tonight my skates took it upon themselves to de-skirt one of the opposing team. You read right, Rowdy Outrageous' skates de-skirted an opposing team player. (Who else could "pull off" such a move?) I'm improving though, it was my only fall of the night and I made it a good fall. (I also hurt a few ribs, my wrist and my hip).
This evening's practice was graced with the talents of the
High City Derby Divas. How great was it to get to play another team without the pressures of an audience watching. I had a feeling that the new crew would be sent out a lot tonight as we have a bout coming up and we need to practice against other teams as much as possible. Yet still when I heard coach say, "Newbies, you're in first" I admit, I was taken off guard and my tummy rumbled. How frightening, a visiting team on our floor and coach sent us in without a veteran to scream, holler and shout what we needed to do and where to go. Doe eyed and wobbly-wheeled, I rolled out and gave it a shot. First few jams, I was flustered and slowly caught on. By the end of the night I felt good, catching on, blocking and skating, watching and listening. Veterans were now being sent in with us, I felt like the drills and practicing we've been doing made sense now, so we're working more as a team, instead of being purely lead by the vets. I managed to skate around a fallen player (on one skate) without falling myself. I blocked and cut across the track, to block some more. It felt competitive and aggressive without a wholly aggressive and competitive atmosphere. I have no idea about a score, what the score was. I do feel that I learned a lot and really that's what last night was about. Getting out, getting "Rowdy", and finding what it is that I do and how I'm gonna do it. Figuring out what part of this sport I am, how do I fit in, and how do I establish my mark on it as more than just the girl that can fall and get her skate wrapped into the opposing teams’ skirts (although both teams and the player did find it amusing). After the scrimmage we went out and had some drink with the Divas. I really do enjoy the camaraderie I've
experienced in this sport. It was great going and conversing with all the ladies we just played, talking about the game, the hits, and the falls and not having anyone take it personal.
Next week we are going to scrimmage another team - they are ranked very high on the
WFTDA list. How very exciting to get to play some of the top players in our sport! I'm imagining a very intense learning experience. I'm hoping not to embarrass the team too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment