2.16.2010

Week Four: Weak On The Floor

Saturday 2/6: Derby Bout in Denver. I'm looking forward to getting to hang out with the girls, and watch a bout, do some studying. So much fun, and what a show! Sugar Kill Gang and Dooms Daisies, amazing! The Fillmore has such a great ambiance for roller derby, it's got that rock-n-roll edge derby's glamorized as having. The Pabst was flowing, the announcers were noisy, and the arena was sold-out turning people away - it really put a group of "fresh meat" and veterans alike, in the mood to play some derby. Not to mention all the ladies in the audience, I cannot count how many women I heard say, "We should so do this!" The girls played, they hit, they blocked, and they teased the audience, if you didn't enjoy yourself you weren't paying attention. At the end people hung out, chit-chatted, talked derby, talked aspiring dreams, and autographs were signed for kids and some adults. What fun indeed!

Friday 2/12: Tonight we got to skate around in our own pack and bump and push our way through the other newbie girls. It was fun! There was also a photographer at practice, he was mainly focused on the veterans (thank you!). I'm sure we don't need photographic evidence of my falling and/ or lack of grace. I'm also positive I crossed paths with him a few times and there are now pictures of the aforementioned. We also took mug shots, of course that was after we did speed rounds, cross-overs, and the four corner drills, but it was still fun!

Saturday 2/13: 80's Dancey Dance Party-time Fundraiser at Road 34. The High City Derby Divas came up, Magic Cyclops D.J.'d, a lot of you showed up, we danced, we sang, some of the Rebels leg wrestled. What good dance party doesn't need leg wrestling? I have no idea what the final count was or just how many funds were raised but I had a great time.




Sunday 2/14: Practice has now been moved to Wednesday night from 8:30pm till 10:30pm. It's actually supposed to be 9-11pm but that sounded soooo late, I'm always amped up and hyper after practice. 8:30pm sounded nicer more gentle.

No comments:

Post a Comment