Thursday: My arms will not rise above my head, nor can I turn quickly to point at something behind me, even slowly my arms will only point sideways, no backwards flex. It's been two days since we've worked out with our trainer. "I can do this, I CAN do this!"
Friday: Today is better. I can lift my arms to shoulder height! WooHoo! Practice tonight? Yup, gonna do this, gonna do this right! Got my Skates, Pads, Helmet, Mouth-guard. I'll take them with me just in case, maybe I can skate for awhile instead of doing exercise drills. (please, PLEASE, PLEASE) Not nearly as tired tonight, maybe it's cause I'm already building tolerance, maybe it's cause I got on my skates (WEE!!!) and didn't have to do the military boot-camp training they call "the four corners drill". Skating is a different kind of dizzying. Still out of breath and seeing stars (but that's cause I fell and half knocked the wind outta myself). Suicide drills on skates a whole new set of issues.
Sunday: Skating brings on a whole new balancing act that is not coming easily to me. Rolling on wheels, while staying low and doing crossovers is rough! I was just getting used to rolling around while standing up and not flailing my arms about. The gear doesn't help me to stay graceful either. Fashion statement? Nope. (I realize my head may be larger than average but the helmet does nothing to help that fact.) Strap all these extra pads to an already graceless person and watch the follies begin. "What's that? You want us to practice falling?" Ahh, my calling! How is it that I've always excelled at falling until it's time to fall? Falling is my forte. Now I seem to be trying to protect my new gear instead of letting it protect me. Practice Practice Practice. Watching the team run through their sets and practicing blocking, pivoting and jamming is great. They are taking turns answering our (fresh meat) questions and studying the other girls run through. These girls work for this. This is not a sport that you can just show up for bouts without practicing, and practicing right. I'm excited, I like this, this is gonna be great!
Tuesday: Last practice I was told I would probably start dreaming derby, and I did. Do I know how to follow instruction or what? There is a bit of truth to "seeing yourself" do something, I feel inspired. I have now literally dreamt of the day I will play roller derby. Today is the personal trainer workout. My legs are a bit achy from practice this weekend but I'm going for more. WOW! That was hard. Incline sit-ups - three million. Push-ups - half million. Squats with weights - three million. Wall squats - two hours. Running two flights of stairs - forever. Running the track - still catching my breath. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating but not by much I'm sure.)Highly recommend working out with Dom. Gets you trained without being over agro. I'll be able to do this someday without grimacing in pain or losing my breath at the second step. The Rebels are tough and that's where I need to be to keep up with this sport. Right now I'd settle for getting up my stairs to bed.
Friday: Today is better. I can lift my arms to shoulder height! WooHoo! Practice tonight? Yup, gonna do this, gonna do this right! Got my Skates, Pads, Helmet, Mouth-guard. I'll take them with me just in case, maybe I can skate for awhile instead of doing exercise drills. (please, PLEASE, PLEASE) Not nearly as tired tonight, maybe it's cause I'm already building tolerance, maybe it's cause I got on my skates (WEE!!!) and didn't have to do the military boot-camp training they call "the four corners drill". Skating is a different kind of dizzying. Still out of breath and seeing stars (but that's cause I fell and half knocked the wind outta myself). Suicide drills on skates a whole new set of issues.
Sunday: Skating brings on a whole new balancing act that is not coming easily to me. Rolling on wheels, while staying low and doing crossovers is rough! I was just getting used to rolling around while standing up and not flailing my arms about. The gear doesn't help me to stay graceful either. Fashion statement? Nope. (I realize my head may be larger than average but the helmet does nothing to help that fact.) Strap all these extra pads to an already graceless person and watch the follies begin. "What's that? You want us to practice falling?" Ahh, my calling! How is it that I've always excelled at falling until it's time to fall? Falling is my forte. Now I seem to be trying to protect my new gear instead of letting it protect me. Practice Practice Practice. Watching the team run through their sets and practicing blocking, pivoting and jamming is great. They are taking turns answering our (fresh meat) questions and studying the other girls run through. These girls work for this. This is not a sport that you can just show up for bouts without practicing, and practicing right. I'm excited, I like this, this is gonna be great!
Tuesday: Last practice I was told I would probably start dreaming derby, and I did. Do I know how to follow instruction or what? There is a bit of truth to "seeing yourself" do something, I feel inspired. I have now literally dreamt of the day I will play roller derby. Today is the personal trainer workout. My legs are a bit achy from practice this weekend but I'm going for more. WOW! That was hard. Incline sit-ups - three million. Push-ups - half million. Squats with weights - three million. Wall squats - two hours. Running two flights of stairs - forever. Running the track - still catching my breath. (OK, maybe I'm exaggerating but not by much I'm sure.)Highly recommend working out with Dom. Gets you trained without being over agro. I'll be able to do this someday without grimacing in pain or losing my breath at the second step. The Rebels are tough and that's where I need to be to keep up with this sport. Right now I'd settle for getting up my stairs to bed.
ooowwwwwww-CH! i'm just happy, after reading this, to not be referred to as "fresh meat"...it's the little things in life.
ReplyDelete