5.24.2010

Hopelessly Devoted to Bruise

Highlights of my night: playing in my first home bout; having so many people come out to support myself and the team (people came from out of town to watch us roll around the track, smash into the other girls and play an awesome sport. Thanks again!); stepping over a collision of skaters and not causing any more skaters or myself to fall (even while this as happening I was thinking "how is this happening?"); knocking down one of the opposing team’s players (I've been told there were a couple, oh my!); staying low and staying in the way; the final jam consisting of all rookies (I think we even scored, great work Ladies!); playing a great game with my team and having an amazing time with the Divas on and off the track.

I had such an incredible night and get more excited to play every time I learn or understand something new about derby. Every practice, every scrimmage, every bout has made me just that much more excited to play. I understand how injury, sometimes serious injury, doesn't deter a derby girl from healing up and wanting to get back out there. I've said it before, roller derby was always something I admired and contemplated playing. I am so happy I actually did this, and can now officially call myself a derby girl (I'm not just making that up, the vets told us, its official now). I started as a flailing falling mess and with some serious work (from myself and the team) have become a Rebel, and I’m so very excited to be one!

The work doesn't stop now (now it just gets inhumane). We are no longer rookies – we’ve played together with the pack, during practice and out in the bouts, people have come out to see us, and the team is counting on us. We can no longer hide behind the "fresh meat badge.” We have some more big bouts coming up and they are going to be taken very seriously by all of us. Practice is going to get continuously harder as we continue to get better and better. One day I'll be a "vet" on the team and I hope to give the "fresh meat" something to look up to. I realize titles and skating at my fullest potential are two different things, I will be at practice and I will be doing the suicides, crossovers, speed skates, drills and all the merciless things asked of me even through numb toes, lack of oxygen and achy joints / body. I will skate extra days and go to other team’s bouts, studying and learning from whomever and where ever I can. I will do this because I know these are the things done by the girls ahead of me and I know they will be done by the girls to follow me, these are the things needing to be done to be the best and that is what I want to be.

p.s. I was also captured in a picture blocking the opponent instead of
being captured getting wrecked by the opponent. SaWEET!!!
Click here to check it out.

1 comment:

  1. all right!!! wish i could have been there!!!!

    (hilarious title by the way!!)

    ReplyDelete