3.08.2010

Derby Disaster

How can choosing a name be so difficult? I'll tell you why, there are literally thousands of girls and we all want to be named the same tough as nails, strike fear in your opponent, yet recognizable name. Roller Derby has a national registry of names and if it can be helped they would like to keep us from duplicating names with another derby sister. You can check your name against the national list, twoevils.org. I have been thinking of names since I watched my first derby bout – let’s be honest, coming up with alter-ego names is fun. It wasn't until I actually had to come up with one for myself because I actually started playing, that this got hard. Family and friends have all been drilled for their best ideas. The Internet has been searched for any ideas it had for me. I started paying attention to everything around me hoping that the world would just slap me across the face with a name.

Tuesday 3/2: Bench presses, sit-ups, push-ups, running, elliptical, roman chair machine, SMASHED funny bone. OWWW!!! Have you ever bruised your funny bone? Truly, truly UN-funny. Not sure how long my fingers should tingle before I really start to worry. Dang!

Wednesday 3/3: We were very focused tonight, got to practice, went straight to cross-over drills, got through those, did some block and hit drills. I was feeling like I might be catching onto skating as I have been doing it twice a week for the last couple months, apparently I once again got a bit cocky and once again my skates set me straight. I'm not even sure how it happened, I was up skating and literally the next thing I know I'm on my butt. I hit the floor, flat on my tush. It was so hard on my tailbone, with such violent abruptness that I could actually taste my lunch in my sinus cavity. Thats right, the lunch I ate eight hours previous actually came up a bit. Luckily the Rebel behind me was quick on her skates, saw me on the floor and managed to roll over / around me. I'm still not sure what happened, nobody on the team saw what I did wrong, just went straight down, no time to react. It seems my natural grace (or lack thereof) has taken over tremendously for the week. Show must go on, right? I got to do some more scrimmaging. Love scrimmaging!!! Playing derby, while electrifying fun, is gonna take some serious work and ibuprofen. (On the plus side, my bruised elbow is hardly recognizable as pain anymore.)

Saturday 3/6: More Rebel bonding, tailgate party for a derby bout, beers, burgers, brats, brownies, (YUM). Slaughterhouse Derby Girls (88) Vs. FoCo Girls Gone Derby (108), glad I didn't miss this show. The ladies kept the score tight the whole bout through. We studied and watched, hollered and cheered ("rebel" rousing, some profanity). I even understood what was happening out there (and why the profanity). The Butcher Babes (Slaughterhouse junior league) played the half-time show, amazing young'ins, even had junior refs. I only almost fell off the bleachers once! (My lack of grace is not solitary to skates). Couple months of studying and I finally catch on. Week seven was all right!

No comments:

Post a Comment